« Home | home & life » | Ahhh, that was easy » | Heads Up!!! » | Church Growth » | 2006 & george barna » | Heads up to all!!! » | Heads up Contributors! » | a book » | Ron Martoia Velocity Conversation at LPCOG » | Ron Martoia Interview » 

January 24, 2007 

Staff Hire?

So, as American culture keeps changing and evolving, the praxis of the church must as well. I think we're all on the same page as far as that is concerned. Traditionally in a church the first staff hire would be a youth pastor, but is that the most effective 1st hire anymore?... this leads me to my question:

If you were building a church from the ground up, what would your first staff hire be and why? Has this changed at all?

Post some comments, and let's get our talk on.

This didn't roll like I thought it would, so here's my take:

In different successful church plants that I've been following over the past year or so, they've had either media/graphics pastors or worship/arts/media pastors as their first hires... Maybe their focus is more on the big service itself first, to grow it and make sure its top-notch before hiring age-level pastors.

I think that might be the future of growing churches... especially graphic/media stuff. If you can do that in-house you save so much money and it really takes everything to whole new level.

Jeremy~

I think you're on to something here. While it might put us youth pastors out of a job, I think solidifying the public face of a fledgling church through worship service(s) can be one of the best mission tools in the world. I think we far too often give credit to corporate worship as missional. I often wonder, though, where some of these trendy arts/media style churches will be in 10 years. As cool as we find that to be, and as cool as the 20-something age group finds those to be, its still a pretty niche market, just like youth ministry.

I also like that you clumped youth ministry in with age-appropriate ministry. We've far too often gotten this wrong opinion that high school is where we can really connect with kids. Studies show its a far younger, and less loud age group.

If you asked me which new church had more staying power between a senior pastor/youth pastor and a senior pastor/worship arts pastor, I'd take the latter.

my friend Jim Gray [who I'd like to post here {grrr if you just googled your name}] Just hired a Creative Arts pastor. He was a musician before and ran for the lake after his record deal was up, but he is a creative guy all around. Jim's second hire will probably be someone to spear head serivce, missions, social concerns kinds of things. He's got a commmited team of people working with kids, and a few students. But some of the students that come to his church still find them selves connected to my ministry and the freinds they still have at First Church. [Very long story but I have Jim's old job, and Jim planted a church in the area.]

Hey Mark,

I wonder too if some of the stuff that's going on in really fast growing churches right now is just trends... but I guess I don't care if it's trendy if the message of Jesus isn't being compromised (I know you probably don't either, but I'm just clarifying). I think the vast majority of growing, creative churches uncompromisingly preach Jesus. Actually, I'm certain there will be other trends in 10 years, but I think we need to be ready to alter our ministry praxis to keep reaching those who are far from God.

I also think that having multiple pastors isn't necessarily "trendy" as much as it is good leadership in delegating and empowering. It's difficult to judge a church's or pastor's motives from the outside, but I'd venture a guess that most are just trying their best to reach people...

At least they've got the guts to go outside the box. Most churches wouldn't leave the box even if the box was on fire.

Post a Comment