« Home | Ron Martoia Velocity Conversation at LPCOG » | Ron Martoia Interview » | Since I was up.... » | GA Aftermath: Here's what's happening in my neck o... » | Look out » | another opportunity for conversation » | Why Jesus Couldn't Be A Pastor » | the golden years & keifer sutherland » | Reactive Christianity » | MI.GA.2006.3 » 

December 19, 2006 

a book

So in staff meeting today we set asside some time as pastoral staff to process things from GA. They asked Chris and I to come up with a book to read. So I'm curious, if you were in my shoes what book would you have your staff read?

Ok ..shameless plug here ... I read your blog but don't often comment ... but I had to on this one ...

http://www.freewebs.com/peggikaye/

Try this one ... *grin*

Randy what direction are you wanting to go? Are you looking for a book to help with church praxis? Theology? what? A few books I recommend are: The Jesus Creed~scot mcnight; Growing Spiritual Redwoods~Easum/Bandy; Renewing the Center~Grenz and I think everyone should have their whole staff read Revolution~Barna(you've probably already been there and done that)

Hey Randy,

Here's my picks:

7 Practices of Effective Ministry
Unstoppable Force
Next Generation Leader
The Life You've Always Wanted
The Creative Leader
An Hour on Sunday

Like Steve said, it all depends on the direction you want to go.

I should clarify. staff meeting as in pastoral staff as in most of them this conversation began at GA. I think we need to unpack cultural shift for them a bit before we go very far. Also the tension and the danger where we sit. If culture has shfited and we have not shifted our ministry, structure, etc, what are the ramafications of such a situation? So I like to grab onto a little, What is emergent and or postmodernism, missional. I have a good follow up book in mind, called the Externally Focused Church. We've first got to talk about the hidden "P" that Ron talked about at GA. Thanks for the comments.

Randy,

Seems like Revolution might be a good place to start...plus Barna is a known and respected name...just a thought...

How about Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. LOL, couldn't resist. Merry Christmas.

Another thought... If you're wanting to ignite some transitions in your church, Culture Shift by Wayne Cordeiro is fantastic. That would be a good staff one.

Post a Comment

In The Beginging

The First Post

Who's Migrating

If you'd like to contribute
email Randy
Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters
hits since 3.29.06