« Home | Look out » | another opportunity for conversation » | Why Jesus Couldn't Be A Pastor » | the golden years & keifer sutherland » | Reactive Christianity » | MI.GA.2006.3 » | From the guys at Odyssey » | MI.GA.2006 » | an artistic cultural intpretation » | Some "Ps" from Dan Kimball » 

December 07, 2006 

GA Aftermath: Here's what's happening in my neck of the woods.

So what is going on in your neck of the woods?

It's 12:49am. I came home after lunch today to catch a nap because I'm coming down with a cold and I wanted to jup ahead of it. I tried to go to bed, I've laid there for over an hour now. I just can't sleep. I'm not thinking of sugar plumb ferries, dispite the time of year.

I came to me curent church knowing it was very modern. I had a sense that I could help somehow. But I've sat fairly quitely in the last year, scoping things out and waiting for the timing to be right.

Since GA the halls have been buzzing around here. There is an urgancy, and a common language, and shared expeirance now. [Thanks for coming to talk to us Ron.]

Something great happend last sunday night. That's when the high school meets. 8 commited followers of Jesus that usually come sunday night didn't. They went to someone's house and had small group. So commited students left the church to experiance "assembley" and fellowship. This has happend, and now all us pastors here can put our finger on it; "This is the stuff Ron was talking about." I've been waiting for this to happen. I just didn't expect this to happen episode 4 of season 2. I thought I would have to wait til season 3 or 4 to reshape the way my ministry is. Now, it's upon us.

So tonight after Middle School D-Groups, a few of those guys and Chris and I were at Dunkin Donuts trying to put our finger on it. What does an effective HS ministry in St Joe MI look like?

I think we've got a start. I think we have some ideas. The pump is primed. The bearings are greased. The road is icy. [ Those guys are praying for a snow day tomarrow so we can shovel the sidewalks and driveways of the houses around the church.] {Wait, should the road be icy? Oh, nevermind, it's 1am.}

Just thought I would share.

Hey Randy, awesome stuff man. What do you attribute the growth of your students to? Have there been any turning points where you've seen your students "get it"?

Keep up the good work.

here's some kick-back from g.a. from mid-michigan...

i had some thoughts about colaboration in ministry before g.a. in nov. then ron mentioned it, in passing i think, and it got some additional thoughts rolling around on how to make it happen.

so...
in january our church is going to begin teaming with the coG in town [we're out in the country about 9 miles] on a mid-week kids ministry. they're already running a pretty good program and we're going to be sending our kids, parents & other volunteers [maybe even budget dollars!!!!] to that program to that church and help create/continue a really great program for kids.

then i went a step further. what about student ministry??
so in january also we're going to begin teaming with that church to get our students together at least 2 times a month for large group worship & small groups.

this may not sound to revolutionary. i'm still trying to figure out what it means to our local church. but there's a willingness to try something. we've got 2 churches of God [anderson] within a few miles of each other. why aren't we working together? why haven't we colaborated before now?
honestly, i don't know!

i'm thinking that i really want to get to a place that i truly does matter what happens with the churches around me. because before now, i'm not sure that it does.

Post a Comment

In The Beginging

The First Post

Who's Migrating

If you'd like to contribute
email Randy
Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters
hits since 3.29.06