« Home | Greetings from the Dirty South » | emergent/postmodern defined??? » | Lives or Minds? » | was just reading the latest issue of relevant mag.... » | It's a five speed to me I guess » | prayer thoughts » | The Wise Cheif » | Billy Bob [yes, as in the teeth] » | jim bob [kind of like the waltons] » | Uhh...Prayer? » 

May 04, 2005 

The Chaotic Re-reformation Holiness Locomotion

I think one thing we are missing in the Church of God is life. Some of you may have seen some signs in the CHOG where life is dripping away. I struggle with seeing so many who refuse to admit that THIS ISN'T WORKING, they won't admit it, and perhaps they cannot. There is so much to cherish within this movement, but when Golden calves have taken the place of true spirituality, then we need to head down a different path. Check out this entry from an emergent blogger -

Dwight Friesen
"one of the first principles of quantum physics is that "life exists at the edge of Chaos"; real life, abundant life at the very edge of chaos. There is little doubt that emergent may lead to chaos and uncertainty, which we as Christians understand in part as the cross. And so, in a time like ours when Western churches appear to be failing and our structures are facing their own deaths there is an invitation to the edge of chaos. Emergent may be one such invitation."

This is what scares the hell out of church folks. That life as they know it, the life of the church, will no longer exist, once they are dead and gone. Some have reacted in ways that many have in history, by building large pyramids of faith, hoping that those structures will become a wonder of the world. Others have gone on the offensive, trying to root out the "unholy" infidels.

Perhaps we need a Post-Reformation Church of God movement, but instead of rejecting everything like our foremothers and fathers, we celebrate our foot-washing stories "at the edge of Chaos". How do we do that?

Locomotion means - active movement.

Word Andy! We have married the way of doing things with The Way. I hope that we can start to help that. So would you say that we have to buid something new? I am wondering if our ChOG forbearers had stayed in their own churches, or at least some sort of working relationship, would they had greater impact on the Church. Then I think of other times in history that there had to be a separation to practice faith in the way they felt free to...Can anyone say Pligrims? This is the thing I'm personally wrestling with right now. Separate? Or attempt to pull the locamotive with my teeth? Having studied some church planing/rebooting concepts I know that it takes a lot more investment to change something that already exists. [sigh]

I'm new to the blogging community, but would like to join this group and add my occasional thoughts and questions. I work with the college age adults at a ChOG in Florida. What do I need to do to join in?

Lori, email me and we'll talk. [click on my pic to go to my profile]

Mark, I was reading back over my comment...I don't want to seem like I'm saying it's easy to plant a church. I'm really refering to Ken Priddy's bell curve. That the farther you wonder from the vision into decline and toward death the harder is is to turn the ship back to vision. The closer you stay to the vision, the easier it is to stay healthy...ie pruning a branch rather than pruning 200 that are narley. When your talking in "millions" either endevor "costs" a lot.

Post a Comment

In The Beginging

The First Post

Who's Migrating

If you'd like to contribute
email Randy
Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters
hits since 3.29.06