« Home | was just reading the latest issue of relevant mag.... » | It's a five speed to me I guess » | prayer thoughts » | The Wise Cheif » | Billy Bob [yes, as in the teeth] » | jim bob [kind of like the waltons] » | Uhh...Prayer? » | Who's next? » | a visit » | This is Randy  » 

April 07, 2005 

Lives or Minds?

I was thinking about the people that have taught me. Things that have really stuck with me. Why do I remember driving around near downtown Lansing doing drive-bys, giving out McDonalds gift certificates. Why was that so life changing? When I looked into that hard working man's eyes as he walked with his wife and daughter. His eyes filled with tears as I gave him 10 McBucks. He shook my hand and I said "God Bless" as I sheepishly jumped back into the church van. That was 14 years ago. I learned about grace that day. That was life changing.
So I ask myself "Are you teaching your students like that?" Am I merely trying to changed their minds, rather than begging God to change their lives through me? They go to school 5 days a week and get their minds changed. We all know how excited they get about that. So if I am trying to do the same thing, why would they come? Jesus has changed my life, he did today and yesturday and the day before. Am I really offerning new life in Christ? I hope that I can look back on a time period some day and can say that life change was the rule, not the exception.

God's trimmers hurt, but they free us of dead weight.

2 things i'm thinking about on this issue of hearts/minds...

i really think that one of the problems that the modern church has had is the ability to mobilize the church. the time to call people to get out of their seats and go to the places they work, play, live and show Christ.
to some extent we have considered that deal the the work of missionaries. so i don't think this is about semantics.
i believe that it's more about showing people an experience. this is true in worship challenges, leadership struggles, etc.

Jesus also deals w/this issue in john 5
“i tell you the truth, who ever hears My word and believes He who sent Me has eternal life and will not be condemned, but he is crossed over from death to life.”

and then james puts the cap on in ch.2
“that even the demons believe God and believe that he exists, and they shutter.”

there is a difference between head knowledge and heart felt convictions.
i don't believe that rote memorization is not what the church, at any place in history, was after.
but the information age told us, in so many words, 'if we learn it, it will change.'

learning must be accompanied by walking the road.

the other thing that i was thinking about for student ministry is this. maybe the way into greater life change is to loose some of the 'all important' community building of gathering and just hanging out, and focus, from time to time, on the connection to God. it's dark, it's personal, providing the space for people to connect to God and just get out of the way.

Post a Comment