« Home | emergent/postmodern defined??? » | Lives or Minds? » | was just reading the latest issue of relevant mag.... » | It's a five speed to me I guess » | prayer thoughts » | The Wise Cheif » | Billy Bob [yes, as in the teeth] » | jim bob [kind of like the waltons] » | Uhh...Prayer? » | Who's next? » 

April 30, 2005 

Greetings from the Dirty South

Thanks for the invite Randy. I'm looking forward to this conversation, as well as getting to know everyone! My name is Andy, and I pastor in a po-dunk church in Alabama. I have been a part of the Emergent/Postmodern/Post-Evangelical/Post-Reformation/Post-toasties, whatever you want to call it Conversation for about 7 years now. I have been in the Church of God my whole dang life, so any opportunity to listen and contribute to ThinkTanking and blending 2 very different worlds (the CHOG Ref. Movement and the Emerging Church Movement) I am all for it!

If I could, I would like to offer up 2 things. The first is a chunk of resources - I spend a lot of time reading (paper and screen) and I try to absorb as much as I can on the emergent movement. If you would like to tap in to a bunch of emergent blogs try the following:

http://www.planetemergent.org (every Emergent blog post you can think of)
http://www.bloglines.com/public/shoogerbear (my own emergent blog readings)
http://andrewdailey.typepad.com/ (my personal blog)

Second, I would like to ask a question. Where do you see the Church of God headed, what course or path is our church movement taking? If you have a definitive answer to that, I would be surprised and happy to hear it. If you have a worriesome and yet somewhat cynical answer, then I wouldn't be surprised and would count you as a close brother or sister.

Oh and one last thing. This April, a book was released by D. A. Carson called "Being Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications"
This is a pretty sharp attack on the Emerging Church. To read more about it go here
Anyone else been attacked for doing church in a different way?

be God's

ooie, ouchie, the aarows do fly at, seemingly, anyone that seeks to change how we do what we do.
i sometimes forget that the people that are in church aren't reading the same things i am and therefor don't have the same understanding i do of what i see happening [culture, church, people & how they learn, etc.].
as far as the cog goes - i too am a lifer and am hopeful that the cog can, through conversations like this one, begin to lead instead of constatntly follow a far pace behind. no, our track record isn't good on leading in areas of change, but i can hope can't i?!
i really think that the kind of change we're talking about is a very indigenious/local deal. this isn't the kind of top down leadership issue that maybe we're used to. it's a grassroots movement. so, having stated the obvious [i think we would all cop to that being obvious], if the grass makes enough noise [lives changed and the church come out of its slide into oblivion] maybe the leadership sees the implication.
i really think the change is not programatic but attitudinal.
are we willing to have 'the way we've always done it' challenged?

-welcome to the conversation andy & thanks for the web sites!!

Post a Comment

In The Beginging

The First Post

Who's Migrating

If you'd like to contribute
email Randy
Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters
hits since 3.29.06