« Home | Emerging Churches 2.1 » | Emerging Churches 2.0 » | Wow Scot » | When I entered kindergarten, I was absolutely terr... » | I know, when it rains it pours.... » | Scot McKinght on an Emmaus Community near Chicago » | Tim Keller's Thoughts on Contextualisation » | Rob Bell article . . . » | Migration Weigh-In » | Bolger on Youth Ministry » 

July 08, 2006 

Emerging Churches 2.2

continuing the series on the work of Eddie Gibbs and Ryan Bolger.

"Can Modern and Postmodern Congregations Exist within a Local Church?"
In the UK it seems that this can happen. There seems to be trouble with doing that so far in the US. Dan Kimball agrees, but he hopes that we can figure it out. [pg41] Kimball has say on his website that it's really up to the senior pastor being ok with the situation. and until that happens, emerging and modern can't be under the same roof long term.

So what do we do about that I interject? How do we transition our modern churches to minister better to the post-whatever world?


From the section "What are Emerging Chruches? on page 41
"For many within the movement, the emerging church is an umbrella that covers many diverse movements. In Johnny Baker's (Grace, London) opinion, emerging church is a catch all term. 'I quite like it for that. Church, as we have inherited it, is no longer working for vast groups of people. the world has change so much. So I think the term emerging church is nothing more than a way of expressing that we need new forms of church that relate to the emerging culture."

Baker's quote hits on the head for me.

So I'm done. I'm done with this Emerging Churches series. Why? I'm through the book. So now blogging feels like a make-up assignment that I did for a lower grade in high school. Oh you may have miss understood, I'm a high school pastor, not actually in high school.

So read the book if you want to understand more about the emergent church. They put a lot of hard work into it and I can't wait to read the follow up. Big-R over and out.

In The Beginging

The First Post

Who's Migrating

If you'd like to contribute
email Randy
Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters
hits since 3.29.06