« Home | Sound Off » | An Interview » | A Reminder » | on emergent preaching » | Creeds, hmm » | the Irishman is always quotable » | Church and Pomo » | Brian McLaren Interview » | Comming back » | may be silly » 

October 10, 2006 

Hot cider, fresh donuts and pumkin patches

What does fall mean for you? The fall expeirance is great! I just had a camp fire in my yard. This isn't any differant than the spring or summer except if felt cozey. I actually could use the heat. It wasn't simply about being a pyro. The jacket I wore to the office this morning smells like a camp fire...[huge sniff], ahhh ya!

It's funny because autum or atumnal isn't neccisarliy something that we "should" look forward to. [I remember that I learned that word from vocab while studying The Scarlett Letter in high school.] But for me it means something differant. I know that winter is coming, when it's fall. {Your thinking: Man, this guy's brilliant, can't get anything past him.} In Michigan we have four sesaons. So I know that this is just part of the rythmn. Winter is a time of dromancy. Even in climates that it doesn't get cold like it does here, plants and other things have a time of dormacey. That's just how God made the world. Everything needs to slow down and regroup, or hunker down out of the cold. I get excited about the fall becuase it's differant than the other seasons. [I like all the seasons that's why I still live here.] So eventhough fall signals the beginging of the end for somethings, it means it's almost time from something new. The death or end of something signals a new beginging for something else.

So as I think about fall I think about how the culture has changed. I think about for many in the church if feels like winter in culture. Cold, bitter, damaging are just a few adjectives. For me it's time to snowboard. It's time to take an oppertunity to do something that you couldn't do in another season. Ya know what? After winter, Spring will spring. But for right now carve a pumpkin and sip that cider. See after the hayride.